Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nudge nudge script

Info: One of the best sketches ever. From Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 1, episode 3: How to recognise different types of trees from quite a long way away. A classic.
Norman Is your wife a...goer...eh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge. Know what I mean? Say no more...know what I mean?
Him I beg your pardon?
Norman Your wife...does she, er, does she 'go' - eh? eh? eh? Know what I mean, know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Say no more.
Him Well, she sometimes goes, yes.
Norman I bet she does. I bet she does. I bet she does. Know what I mean? Nudge nudge.
Him I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you.
Norman Follow me. Follow me. I like that. That's good. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh? (elbow gesture; rubs it)
Him Are you trying to sell something?
Norman Selling, selling. Very good. Very good. (hand tilting quickly) Oh, wicked. Wicked. You're wicked. Eh? Know what I mean. Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge. (leaning over to him, making eye gesture; speaks slowly) Say...no...more. (leans back as if having imparted a great secret)
Him But...
Norman (stops him with finger which he lays alongside nose; gives slight tap) Your wife is she, eh... is she a sport. Eh?
Him She likes sport, yes!
Norman I bet she does, I bet she does!
Him She is very fond of cricket, as a matter of fact.
Norman (leans across, looking away) Who isn't, eh? Know what I mean. Likes games, likes games. Knew she would. Knew she would. Knew she would. Likes games, eh? She's been around, eh? Been around?
Him She's traveled. She's from Purley.
Norman Oh...oh. Say no more, say no more. Say no more - Purley, say no more. Purley, eh? Know what I mean, know what I mean. Say no more.
Him (about to speak; can't think of anything to say)
Norman (leers, grinning) Your wife interested in er... (waggles head, leans across) photographs, eh? Know what I mean? Photographs, 'he asked him knowingly'.
Him Photography?
Norman Yes. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more?
Him Holiday snaps?
Norman Could be, could be taken on holiday. Could be yes - swimming costumes. Know what I mean. Candid photography. Know what I mean, nudge nudge.
Him No, no we don't have a camera.
Norman Oh. Still (slaps hands lightly twice) Woah! Eh? Wo-oah! Eh?
Him Look, are you insinuating something?
Norman Oh...no...no... Yes.
Him Well?
Norman Well. I mean. Er, I mean. You're a man of the world, aren't you...I mean, er, you've er... you've been there haven't you...I mean you've been around...eh?
Him What do you mean?
Norman Well I mean like you've er...you've done it...I mean like, you know...you've...er...you've slept...with a lady.
Him Yes.
Norman What's it like?

Enourmous artificial laugh on sound track. Closing film, starting with referee blowing whistle and then into 'It's' man running away from camera.
(CREDITS)'
Voice Over The Larch.


Info 2: And here is the sketch:

No comments: